Makes 14 meringue halves
- 4 medium free range egg whites at room temperature
- 225g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 150C/130CFan/Gas2
- Lightly oil two baking sheets and line with baking parchment.
- Place the egg whites in a large dry, clean grease free bowl and whisk into soft peaks. (Do not get any yolk in to bowl or meringues will not work)
- To test for right consistency, tip the bowl at an angle – if the mixture doesn’t slide out, it’s ready. It should also look slightly dry. Take care not to over beat or the whites will collapse.
- Whisk in the sugar, about one tablespoon at a time, making sure that you whisk thoroughly after each addition. When all the sugar is whisked in, the mixture should be smooth, thick and glossy and form stiff sharp peaks when the beaters are lifted out.
- Rub a small amount of the meringue mix between your fingers, to make sure there is no trace of sugar granules
- Place a dessertspoonful of the mixture slightly apart on the baking sheets.
- Place in the oven, reduce the oven to 140C/120CFan/Gas 1 and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat and leave in the oven to cool
- Double cream
- Whip cream until it forms soft peaks, then use to sandwich pairs of meringues together. Decorate with fruit.
- Once filled the meringues should be eaten on the same day.
- Unfilled meringues should be stored in an airtight in for 4 – 5 days.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour plus cooling
- Dietary Vegetarian, Gluten Free